Read & Consider
Read Exodus 17:5-6
The miracle of the water coming out of the rock came about as an answer by God to the Moses crying out to the Lord ‘‘What am I to do with these people? They are almost ready to stone me.’’v4
Moses cried out in such a way following the complaining of the Israelite people to him: ‘’Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to make us and our children and livestock die of thirst?’’v3 and they ‘quarreled with Moses and said, ‘’Give us water to drink.’’ v2
The people complained about their problem instead of praying. Some problems can be solved by careful thought or by rearranging our priorities. Some can be solved by discussion and good counsel. But some problems can be solved only by prayer.
We should make a determined effort to pray when we feel like complaining, because complaining only raises our level of stress. Prayer quiets our thoughts and emotions and prepares us to listen.
Over to you
- Pray about something you complained about recently, or were tempted to complain about, and perhaps specifically ask God to quiet your thoughts and emotions and prepare you to listen to Him
- Pray for God to give you peace and reassurance that He has it all in hand and can work miracles to solve problems if needed and lift up a specific problem or challenge to God you personally are struggling with currently
- Pray boldly in the name of Jesus and in the power of The Holy Spirit to God the Father that His will be done on Earth, as in Heaven, including miracles to answer the cries of billions around the world who are suffering threats to their health, livelihoods and lives
How can we as a church be prompted to pray more about the problems and challenges we face rather than be tempted to complain about them?
Consider anything you have complained about, or thought about complaining about, regarding the Church, and create an action that you could take to help solve it or contribute positively to it improving or being resolved- this will certainly involve prayer, and prayer alone to He who is able may suffice!
Optional extra Family activity
- Sit in a circle (e.g. on chairs or on the floor) facing each other with a glass/cup/beaker of water in front of each of you/within reach.
- Have a rock/stone (or any inanimate object if you don’t have either) held in the hands of the first person who then prays a prayer of thanks to God for the miracle of giving his thirsty people water from a stone and then everyone takes a sip of their water
- Then the same person then thinks of another miracle that Jesus/God performed (or anyone in the name of them) if they can or a miracle they would like to see done.
- Then pass to the next person and repeat above!
Perhaps close at the end by seeing who can finish off the rest of their water the quickest, without spilling it…
Today’s Pray Today was prepared by Andrew/Jacko.
Response & Feedback
If you feel God spoke to you or gave you a verse, picture or thought that is for us as a church family, we would love to hear from you.
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
#PrayToday for more inspiration follow us on Instagram and Facebook members page.